The first woman producer of the Indian film industry, the first popular pair actress, the pillar of strength for so many in the cinema industry. Leading a happy life without any grouse….whom we are talking about – that is MV RAJAMMA a multi talented actress of South India.
The business of entertainment has been closed for almost two years in the nation. Yet there are some unfocused topics. Among them the most prominent is the centenary of producer, actor and singer MV Rajamma left with no celebration on the one side and she was not even remembered by Producer council or Kalavidhara Sangha.
Better late than never www.chitratara.com went through the pages of history and came in touch with veteran cameraman BS Basavaraj who tricked out very fascinating data about the legendary MV Rajamma.
Take a look at some of the highlights of MV Rajamma – centenary of the legendary personality was on 10th March 2021. MV Rajamma passed away in 1999, April 23.
· It was on 10th March 1921 MV Rajamma took birth and was active in the cinema industry from 1934 to 1985.
· When she was a teenager, MV Rajamma got married to Veer MC, the married life did not last long. The girl MVR settled at the age of 14 and had a flourishing career. At the then Madras now Chennai T Nagar MV Rajamma lived until 1999.
· MV Rajamma acted in the films of Dr Rajakumar, NT Rama Rao, MG Ramachandran, Akkineni Nageshwara Rao, Thyagaraja Bhagavathar, Hindi film actor Shashi Kapoor and many others.
· MR Rajamma`s father Nanjappa was a merchant and mother was Subbamma. Theatre plays attracted MV Rajamma who hails from Bengaluru Urban district Agndanahalli.
· She joined Chandrakala Nataka Mandali as a teenager and right from the stage she acted with BR Panthulu.
· MV Rajamma was the first woman producer in 1943 from `Radha Ramana`that was directed by Jyothish Sinha and BR Panthulu. It is for this film MV Rajamma spent over Rs.80000 (eighty thousand rupees) in pre independence days.
· Radha Ramana is the film that introduced stalwarts like GV Iyer and TN Balakrishna. BR Panthulu was the hero with MV Rajamma playing the lead.
· The second film production of MV Rajamma was `Makkala Rajya` critically acclaimed film. It is in this film that MS Umesh, a veteran today, made a beginning in cinema.
· However, MV Rajamma`s debut was in 1936 a social drama directed by HLN Simha. It was in the same film title a stage play Rajamma enacted – the same role she played with her first hero BR Panthulu in lead.
· Since then the first best pair on South Indian screen was MV RAJAMMA AND BR PANTHULU. Both have acted in over 20 films together.
· As a fond mother on the silver screen, MV Rajamma is like another Nirupa Roy of Hindi cinema.
· The politeness and humble nature was good in MVR. She once advised the popular actress not to clash with anyone.
· MV Rajamma is undoubtedly the first Panchabhasha Thaare –She acted in Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam and Hindi languages.
· Undoubtedly the highest paid actress supported many of the industry colleagues to rise above in life.
· The ambition of MV Rajamma was not fulfilled – she wanted to come up with a studio in Bengaluru when MV Rajashekhara Murthy was minister. That was well before Sri Kanteerava Studio. The talks were over but it did not come on paper.
· Most popular Kannada films of MV Rajamma were ‘Bhaktha Prahalada in 1942, Rathnagiri Rahasya in 1957, School Master in 1958, Abba Aa Hudugi in 1959 etc
· In 1940 Raamma entered Tamil cinema industry from Uthama Puthiran.
· MV Rajamma got the honor of Dr Rajakumar Lifetime achievement award from Karnataka government for the year 1997-98.